Welcome to Manchester Digital Collections: a new resource for exploring high-quality images of cultural collections and research projects at The University of Manchester.
We hope you find what you are looking for. Please do contact us if you have any questions or comments.
Our mission, our vision, our values
Manchester Digital Collections supports The University of Manchester’s mission to advance education, knowledge and wisdom for the good of society.
The University’s vision is to be recognised globally for the excellence of our people, research, learning and innovation, and for the benefits we bring to society and the environment.
The ongoing development of Manchester Digital Collections is underpinned by five core values:
- Audience Focus – we believe in an audience-focussed rather than technology-driven approach, putting the needs of our audiences first.
- Collaboration – we are developing MDC in a collaborative, collegial way, as a partnership between University of Manchester researchers, IT Services, The University of Manchester Library, Cultural Institutions, and external stakeholders.
- Open Access and Open Data – there should be minimal barriers to access (subject to copyright and Data Protection restrictions), and we encourage others to reuse and build on our content.
- Discoverability and Ease of Use – it should be it as easy as possible for users to discover our content, by making MDC’s functionality and accessibility as straightforward as possible.
- Citation – it should be easy for users to cite specific content, using stable, time-stamped URLs.