Terms & Conditions
- Terms of website use
- Information about us
- Access to information (data protection policy)
- Accessing our site
- Intellectual property rights
- Notice and takedown policy
- Making contributions to the site
- Content standards
- Limitation of liability
- Contact details
Terms of website use
Information about us
The site is operated by The University of Manchester ('we','us' or the 'University'), whose postal address is The University of Manchester, Oxford Rd, Manchester, M13 9PL.
The registered address of the University is: Office of the Director of Finance, University Of Manchester, Oxford Road Manchester, M13 9PL
For information on our principles and standards for online accessibility, please see the University of Manchester Accessibility Policy.
For more information about how we handle your personal information, please see the University of Manchester Website Privacy Notice.
Access to information (data protection policy)
Please see the data protection home page at University of Manchester Data Protection homepage.
Accessing our site
Access to the site is permitted on a temporary basis and the University reserves the right to withdraw or amend the services provided on the site without notice. The University will not be liable if for any reason the site is unavailable at any time or for any period.
The University may restrict access to users to some parts of the site or to the entire site for technical, administrative or legal reasons.
You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to the site. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access the site through your internet connection are aware of these terms and that they comply with them.
You may use the site only for lawful purposes. You must not use the site:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect
- For the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material that does not comply with Content Standards (see below)
- To transmit or procure the sending of any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam)
- To knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses or any other computer code, programs or files designed to destroy, interrupt or limit the functionality of any computer, computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
Use of the site by staff and students of the University is also subject to the University's policies and guidelines for computer use at: http://www.itservices.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/policy/
Intellectual property rights
The University is the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in the site and in the material appearing on the site. The material includes but is not limited to works such as images, artwork, text, data, files, audio/visual clips, illustrations, designs and documentation (the 'Content') and the collection, arrangement and assembly of the Content. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
Material prepared for the primary purpose of providing information about the Manchester Digital Collections and the University and organisations with which it is associated or affiliated has been placed on the site by the University ('University Material').
Extracts of the Content and University Material from the site may be accessed, downloaded and printed for your personal and non-commercial use and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to material posted on the site. Unless explicitly licensed or permitted by us, you may not:
- use any part of the Content or University Material on the site for direct or indirect commercial purposes or advantage without obtaining a licence to do so from the University or its licensors
- modify or alter the paper or digital copies of any Content or University Material printed off or downloaded in any way
- sell, resell, license, transfer, transmit, display in any form, perform, hire, lease or loan any Content or University Material in whole or in part printed or downloaded from the site
- systematically extract and/or re-utilise substantial parts of the Content or University Material from the site
- create and/or publish your own database that features substantial parts of this site.
Nothing contained in the site shall be taken, construed or considered as a grant of licence or right to use the trademarks of the Digital Collections or University or that of any third party displayed on the site without the prior written permission of the respective owner/s.
Manchester Digital Collections has made every reasonable effort to locate, contact and acknowledge copyright owners and wishes to be informed by any copyright owners who are not properly identified and acknowledged on this site so that we may make any necessary corrections.
Notice and takedown policy
If you are a rights holder and are concerned that you have found material on our site for which you have not given permission or is not covered by an exception or exemption in national law, please contact the University’s Copyright Guidance Service, who will deal with your submission in accordance with the University’s takedown notice.
Making contributions to the site
In submitting a contribution to the site:
1. You grant to the University a non-exclusive, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free licence to copy, reproduce, broadcast, transmit, display and perform by all means all or part of your contribution on the site for the entire period of copyright in your contribution and all renewals, extensions or revivals thereof; and
2. You warrant that: Your contribution is your own original work or you have a licence from the author/s or copyright owner/s of the work granting the University use of the work on the terms of the foregoing licence granted by you; and
You will comply with the Content Standards (below); and
Your contribution does not infringe the copyright or other intellectual property rights of any person or organisation, which includes your having obtained sufficient rights (by written permission/licence or consents as appropriate) for the University to exercise the foregoing licence granted by you -
a) from rights holders of third party copyright materials that you may have included in your contribution in whole or in part and/or that others' materials are used in your contribution under statutory (legislative) exemption, and
b) from all identifiable persons in any images or video/film and/or sound recordings that you may have included in your contribution (including parental/legal guardian consent for those under 16 and for those who are vulnerable adults).
Contributions or material submitted by University staff and students (and others as prescribed) is also subject to the University’s Intellectual Property Policy.
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to the site ('Contributions') and to any interactive services or features associated with it.
- Be accurate (where they state facts);
- Be genuinely held (where they state opinions);
- Comply with applicable law in the UK and the law of the country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
- Contain any material that is likely to offend, provoke or attack other contributors to or users of the site;
- Contain any material that is defamatory of any person;
- Contain any material that is obscene, offensive, abusive or hateful;
- Promote violence or contain a statement or describe or encourage activities that could endanger the safety or well-being of others;
- Promote discrimination on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, race, religion, or nationality;
- Infringe any copyright, trademark or other intellectual property right of any person or organisation;
- Advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act or illegal activity;
- Be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- Be threatening, harass, abuse or invade another's privacy or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to any person;
- Be used to impersonate any person or to misrepresent the contributor's identity or affiliation with any person or organisation;
- Contain any material that contains viruses or any other computer code, programs or files designed to destroy, interrupt or limit the functionality of any computer, computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
The University reserves the right to review, edit or remove without warning any contribution that in its sole discretion breaches these Content Standards and to take further action, including legal action, as the University reasonably feels necessary or is required by law. Notwithstanding the foregoing, and to the fullest extent permitted by law, the University accepts no responsibility or liability to any third party for the content or accuracy of any material posted by any user of the site.
Limitation of liability
The site and its Content and University Material is provided on an 'AS IS' and 'AS AVAILABLE' basis. To the extent permitted by law, the University excludes any representations or any warranties (whether express or implied by law), including the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness of a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security and accuracy.
The site may contain advice, opinions, statements or other information by various authors or organisations. Reliance upon any such advice, opinion, statement or other information is at your risk and to the extent permitted by law the University disclaims all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such information by any user of the site or by anyone who may be informed of such information.
Where the site contains links to other websites and resources provided by third parties, those links are provided for information only. The University has no control over the contents of those sites or resources and accepts no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
In no event shall the University be liable to any party for any of the following losses or damages (whether such losses be foreseen, foreseeable, known or otherwise): loss of data, loss of revenue or anticipated profits, loss of business, loss of opportunity, loss of goodwill or injury to reputation, loss suffered by third parties, any direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential loss or damages arising out of use of the site or reliance on any material or services provided in the site or accessed through it, whether or not amended by third parties and regardless of form of action.
Please contact us if you have any questions or comments.